Van Mall North Annexation
The Vancouver City Council has identified Van Mall North as an area ready for annexation. It is located in Vancouver’s Urban Growth Area (UGA), and was slated for annexation by the City and County in the Annexation Blueprint Plan (2007). Annexation of Van Mall North was underway in 2008, when all annexation activities were halted due to the economic recession. The Van Mall North area is already served by City of Vancouver water, sewer and emergency fire services. The effective date for the Van Mall North annexation is August 1, 2017. The City and County are working together to ensure a smooth transfer of services.
Map of the Van Mall North Annexation Area
- Size: Approximately 1,270 acres / 2 square miles
- Population: 4,560 people, 2,195 households
- Neighborhoods Impacted: Green Meadows, East Minnehaha, Andresen/St. Johns, Sunnyside
Click on the image for a high resolution map of the proposed annexation area, which includes streets and landmarks. Zoom in to look for a specific property..
- March 2016 – August 2017 | Community Engagement & Public Outreach
City staff are available to answer questions and meet with residents, property owners, businesses and neighborhood associations. Please contact Rebecca Kennedy (contact information below) for information or to set up a meeting. A summary of ongoing public outreach for this project is available below.
- April – September 2016 | Identification of utility covenant signatures
- May 23, 2016 | City Council Workshop
- June - October 2016 | In-depth analysis of proposed annexation area
- August 24, 2016 | Community Open House, Walnut Grove Elementary School, 5 pm-8 pm
- November 28, 2016 | City Council Workshop
- February 13, 2017 | Public Hearing, Council Chambers, 6:30 pm
Resolution to proceed with Van Mall North annexation
- April 10, 2017 | Public Hearing, Council Chambers, 6:30 pm
Introduction of Van Mall North annexation ordinance
- April 17, 2017 | Public Hearing, Council Chambers, 7 pm
Adoption of the Van Mall North annexation ordinance
- Summer 2017: Conduct Census of Annexed Area
- August 1, 2017: Annexation effective date
Sign up for email updates
We recognize that annexation impacts residents, businesses, property owners, and neighborhood associations. City staff are available to answer questions and meet with individuals or groups upon request (see staff contact information below), and are actively working with all impacted neighborhood associations. In addition, the following resources are available:
- City of Vancouver annexation webpages are regularly updated and include details on the Van Mall North Annexation, Frequently Asked Questions, and the Annexation Analyzer. For more information, visit the Annexation homepage.
- A designated staff person serves as the single point of contact for residents, businesses and property owners to ask questions, voice concerns and request information related to annexation. Please see contact information below for Rebecca Kennedy.
- Regular updates on the Van Mall North annexation are provided in electronic and physical form. To sign up for email updates, visit the project website and complete the online form. If you would prefer to receive a physical copy, please contact Rebecca Kennedy via the contact information below.
- City of Vancouver Communications provides regular updates and information on annexation via social media platforms and other web venues.
- Technical contacts for various City Departments are available on the Frequently Asked Questions webpage.
- The Annexation Analyzer helps property owners to understand the financial impacts of annexation. Since financial impacts depend on several factors specific to the individual property, this is an important tool for understanding how the Van Mall North Annexation will impact you.
- Postage-paid comment forms are available at all City Council meetings on the counter outside Council Chambers, and are received by City staff. Comments are recorded and communicated to Council.
- A fact sheet on the Van Mall North Annexation area is available via the annexation website and in paper format at City Council Meetings and upon request. To request a paper copy, see contact information below for Rebecca Kennedy.
Please see the Van Mall North Annexation Public Outreach Summary for information on the outreach conducted to date.
Van Mall North Annexation Informational Open House
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016, the City of Vancouver hosted an informational open house on the Van Mall North Annexation at Walnut Grove Elementary School. Staff from several City departments were available to answer questions and provide information to residents about City services and programs. This includes staff from: Police, Fire, Parks & Recreation, Zoning, Permitting, Public Works, Transportation, Utilities, Garbage & Recycling, City Leadership, Communications, Code Compliance, and the Office of Neighborhoods. Please see below for links to information that was provided:
General Information - City Government
Neighborhood Guide for Traffic Calming
Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program- Map of Completed Projects, 2013-15
Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program- 2016 Program Documents
Neighborhood Traffic Safety Alliance Information
Public Works- Overview
Sewer Connection Incentive Program Fact Sheet
Solid Waste & Recycling Service
Solid Waste & Recycling- Overview of Neighborhood Programs
Utility Rate Comparison for Single Family Residences
Utility Services & Rates
Staff Contact Information
Rebecca Kennedy, Economic Development Planner, (360) 487-7896, Rebecca.Kennedy@cityofvancouver.us