This metal, concrete, granite and brick piece was created by artist, Jay Rood. Installed in 1992, the creation and dedication coincided with the bicentennial celebration of the exploration and naming of the Columbia River in 1792.
Location: foot of Columbia Street
This stainless steel sculpture is shown in work clothes proudly donning a red glass polka dot scarf. She is seen stepping from the home to the industrial work world and into the future, crossing the dam that powered the shipyards. Wendy is surrounded by other local symbols of the era which help celebrate the spirit and legacy of the women of WWII.
Wendy Rose stands in the James and Joyce Harder...
Phrogy with a "Ph," came all the way from Carmel, California, to join Vancouver's public art collection in 1981. The hand-carved redwood piece was generously donated by Vancouver Businessman, Paul Christensen.
Location: 11th & Main
Though the real Captain Vancouver never made it to Vancouver, this 9 foot, 1500 pound bronze piece, sculpted by self taught artist Jim Demetro, made a ceremonial trip on the Columbia River in 2000. This piece was made possible through the leadership of Avril Massey and the Captain Vancouver Committee, local developer Elie Kassab and 1300 additional donors.
Location: Corner of 6th and Esther...
This sculpture is located at the Pearson Air Museum near the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site in Vancouver, Washington. It depicts aviator Captain Carlton Bond (1893-1980), a two-time commanding officer of the Army Air Corps’ Pearson Field in Vancouver.
More information about Capt. Bond.
Mother Joseph of the Sacred Heart (1823 - 1902) was a Canadian Religious Sister who led a group of four sisters from her congregation to Vancouver, Washington in 1856.
There, under her leadership, they established a network of schools and hospital facilities to service the American settlers in that new and remote part of the country.
Mother Joseph was responsible for the completion of eleven...
Generous donations from local businessman and philanthropist George Propstra, created this one-of-a-kind amenity which anchors the southeast corner of Vancouver's Esther Short Park. A Glockenspiel diorama emerges from the tower on a regular schedule to depict a story of the Chinook Indians. The Salmon Run Bell Tower is 69 feet tall.
Location: Esther Short Park
One of Vancouver's oldest works, this bronze, larger than life rendition of a pioneer woman and her two children was acquired in 1928. A $10,000 donation from Vancouver banker E.G. Crawford commissioned nationally renowned artist Avard Fairbanks to create this tribute to local history.
Location: Esther Short Park
Installed in 2000, this mural was created by students from Lewis and Clark High School with a grant from the Community Foundation for Southwest Washington. Vancouver Sign Company donated installation of the mural.
Location: Columbia St. at 4th St.
Bas-relief bronze created by sculptor Bill Bane of Newberg, Oregon, depicting a Native American Indian and two Hudson's Bay Company Traders. The piece, 12 feet wide by 80 inches high, was acquired in 1990 to replicate Clark County's first piece of public art (1941) which was removed in 1978 due to damage.
Aluminum and fiberglass clock created by the Verdin Company of Cincinnati, Ohio. The clock was installed in 1998 in partnership with the Vancouver Housing Authority, expressing the VHA's commitment to high quality urban design.
Location: 2500 Main in Uptown Village
Eric Jensen created this 7 foot, 700 pound bronze figure of Illchee, powerful Shaman of the Chinook tribe, in the early 1800's. The Illchee statue was acquired, along with the adjacent plaza, in 1994.
Location: Columbia River Waterfront