Police Careers-Entry Level Police Officer
Entry-Level Police Officer
Recruitment #CS 14-00002
The Vancouver Police Department is currently accepting Entry Level Applications. All entry level applicants must apply by registering through Public safety testing.
The Job Position
The Vancouver Police Department strives to be a full service organization with challenging opportunities in police work for individuals who are interested in providing quality law enforcement services to the public. Its officers are charged with protecting life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances including the prevention, detection and investigation of crimes and civil infractions and exercising of arresting authority. These positions offer a wide variety of challenging emergency and routine duties including:
- Patrolling a designated area of the City
- Responding to a variety of calls for service involving criminal and non-criminal situations and taking necessary police action.
- Preparing accurate reports.
- Conducting investigations, collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses/suspects.
- Testifying in Federal, State and local courts, and in administrative hearings.
- Working in partnership with the community to solve problems.
- Developing public relation contact with civil groups, schools, businesses, neighborhood organizations and other law enforcement agencies.
- Representing the police department to other city service areas, elected officials, outside agencies, and to various citizens and citizen groups.
All City of Vancouver employees are expected to perform their duties in accordance with the City’s Operating Principles; work and act as a team player in interactions with other city employees; and provide a high level of customer service at all times.
Although most assignments will be patrol, experienced officers have the opportunity for special assignments in areas such as SWAT, Traffic, Detectives, Canine, Narcotics, Gangs, Mounted Patrol, Child Abuse.
The position of police officer is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the City and the Vancouver Police Officer’s Guild.
Watch this video to learn more about our hiring process
The ideal candidate must maintain self-discipline and credibility through honest and ethical behavior and must have strong skills and abilities in a wide variety of areas including communication, creative problem solving, community service, teamwork and leadership.
Candidates must meet the following requirements prior to the examination date:
- United States citizenship
- 21 years of age
- High School diploma or its equivalent
- A valid driver’s license
The Selection Process
- Application. All candidates apply online or via telephone with www.PublicSafetyTesting.com. Multiple testing dates are available each month.
- Written Examination. The standardized written examination is conducted by Public Safety Testing. To be successful, candidates must score a minimum of 70 percent on the exam.
- Physical Fitness Ability Test. The physical fitness ability test is conducted by Public Safety Testing and is identical to the test used by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. No numerical score is provided for this test, it is a pass or fail test.
- Structured Oral Interview. The interview has two components: a video scenario and a panel interview. Both components assess observation skills, decision making, problem solving, communication skills, integrity, persuasiveness and flexibility. To be successful, candidates must receive a passing score on both components.
- Certification on an Eligibility List. The names of candidates who successfully complete all testing components are merged into an existing entry level police officer eligibility list according to final overall scores.
- Background Investigation. A background investigator conducts a comprehensive investigation based on information provided by the candidate in an interview and on a personal history questionnaire. The investigation also includes a behavioral traits assessment, and a polygraph examination.
- Final Selection Interview. This interview panel screens for strengths that will lead to job success.
- Post Offer Process. Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must successfully complete a medical examination including a drug screen and a psychological evaluation prior to receiving a final offer of employment.
How To Apply
Candidates apply online with www.PublicSafetyTesting.com or via telephone toll-free at 1-866-HIRE-911. Candidates are not required to complete a City of Vancouver employment application at this point in the process.
All candidates who meet minimum requirements are encouraged to apply.
For applicants who will be in the Vancouver area for testing or interviews, a local hotel is offering special rates for candidates applying for Police Officer jobs with the Vancouver Police Department. Click here for more information.
Family and domestic partner health benefits include medical, vision and dental. Medical coverage provided through Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon, or Kaiser Permanente. Dental Benefits are provided through Washington Dental or Kaiser Permanente.
Other benefits include a deferred compensation program, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, retiree health savings, 529 College Savings Plan, paid days off and sick leave. Retirement benefits are provided through Washington State Law Enforcement Officers’ and Fire Fighters Retirement System (LEOFF).
The Vancouver Police Department
The Vancouver Police Department is a professional, progressive and innovative law enforcement agency working to become an integral part of the community and the lives of the citizens it services. The department practices Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving. Its fundamental mission is to work in partnership with the community to protect life and property and to enhance the quality of life in Vancouver through proactive problem solving, fair and equitable law enforcement and effective use of resources.
The City: Vancouver, Washington
The City of Vancouver is a growing community that sits on the north bank of the Columbia River directly across from Portland, Oregon. Vancouver combines the excitement of a major metropolitan area with small-town charm and abundant recreational opportunities. Its full-service city government is committed to providing responsive and progressive leadership for all citizens. Vancouver offers quality schools, a favorable tax climate, affordable housing, livable neighborhoods, and dedicated citizens involved in all aspects of community life.
Resources for Additional Information
For additional information about the department, the job position, and the selection process, you may contact:
- The Vancouver Police Department’s website at www.vanpolice.org.
- This announcement is meant only as a general descriptive recruitment guide. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and is not a complete description of the job.
TOBACCO FREE/DRUG FREE WORKPLACE - EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Public Safety TestingAbout PublicSafetyTesting.com Vancouver has contracted with PublicSafetyTesting.com to conduct a portion of our entry-level recruitment and testing for police officer positions. Interested candidates should go to their website below or telephone toll-free at 1-866-HIRE-911.
Once at the website:
Physical Fitness Abilities TestApplicants for the position of Entry Level police officer with the City of Vancouver must successfully complete the following Fitness Ability Test. A maximum of 200 points is possible. A minimum of 30 points is required for each individual test. A minimum of 160 total points is required to pass the Fitness Ability Test
Background InvestigationPrior to employment with the Vancouver Police Department, the Background Investigations Unit will conduct a comprehensive on-site Background Investigation. This will include, but is not limited to examination and investigation of employment history, driving history, criminal history, financial history, military history, and general life history. A credit report will be obtained. Any pertinent...