Police Careers-Lateral Police Officer
Police Officer - Lateral Entry - Recruitment #CS14-00003
Salary: $5383 -$6870/month
The City of Vancouver is currently accepting applications for Lateral Entry Level Police Officer This will take you to the application page
The Vancouver Police Department is a professional, progressive, and innovative law enforcement agency working to become an integral part of the lives of the citizens it serves. Our fundamental mission is to work in partnership with the community to protect life and property and to enhance the quality of life in Vancouver through proactive problem solving, fair and equitable law enforcement, and effective use of resources.
A lateral entry police officer is charged with protecting life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances including the prevention, detection, and investigation of crimes and civil infractions, including the exercising of arresting authority.
The Patrol schedule allows generous days off. Officers work 10 ½ hour shifts on a 5/4, 5/4, 5/5 schedule (on/off). Most specialty assignments enjoy a 4-10 schedule with weekends off. Overtime is available but rarely required.
The position of Police Officer is covered by an agreement between the City and the Vancouver Police Officers' Guild. Regular employees in this position are required to pay union dues.
Watch this video to learn more about our hiring process
The ideal candidate for this position must be able to:
- Patrol a designated area of the City by vehicle or other means to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crime, and to enforce traffic regulations.
- Exercise arrest authority.
- Respond to a variety of calls for service involving criminal and non-criminal situations and take necessary police action.
- Write, prepare, and maintain accurate reports.
- Investigate misdemeanors, felonies, and infractions; collect evidence; interview witnesses, victims and suspects in order to identify and apprehend the perpetrator(s).
- Operate a variety of equipment including vehicles, radars, cameras, computers, and specialized law enforcement equipment.
- Testify in Federal, State and local courts, and administrative hearings.
- Represent the police department to other city service areas, elected officials, outside agencies, and various citizens and community groups.
All City of Vancouver employees are expected to perform their duties in accordance with the City’s Operating Principles, work and act as a team player in interactions with other city employees, and provide a high level of customer service at all times.
The ideal candidate for this position should have:
- U.S. citizenship.
- Education equivalent to completion of the 12th grade.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Completed a state-certified law enforcement academy.
- Maintained any mandated certifications such as firearms qualification and first aid/CPR.
- Received a final offer of employment or be working as a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer within the last 24 months.
- The ability to successfully complete a thorough background investigation and post-offer psychological and medical examination, including pre-employment drug screening.
Family and domestic partner health benefits include medical, dental and vision. Coverage is provided through Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon or Kaiser Permanente.
Other benefits include a deferred compensation program, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, long-term disability, paid days off, and sick leave. Retirement benefits are provided through Washington State Law Enforcement Officers’ and Fire Fighters' Retirement System (LEOFF).
How to Apply:
All candidates who meet minimum requirements are encouraged to apply.
To apply online go to: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/vancouver/default.cfm
Vancouver boasts a livable mix of small-town charm and urban amenities, economic opportunity, and lush open spaces. Located in SW Washington across the Columbia River from Portland, OR, Vancouver and is close to abundant outdoor recreational activities. Its full-service city government is committed to providing responsive and progressive leadership for all citizens.
Vancouver offers quality schools, a favorable tax climate, affordable housing, livable neighborhoods, and dedicated citizens involved in all aspects of community life. The City of Vancouver is a growing community. In 1997 the City almost doubled in size through annexation of approximately 13,720 acres, for a total population of more than 165,500 Vancouver is currently the fourth largest city in Washington State.
The Vancouver Police Department has approximately 190 sworn officers and 22.5 civilian staff. The department currently works out of a main headquarters and two precincts.
This announcement is meant only as a general descriptive recruitment guide. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and is not a complete description of the job.
TOBACCO FREE / DRUG FREE WORKPLACE - EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
finalannouncementcs02-005.pdf (57 KB)
Background InvestigationPrior to employment with the Vancouver Police Department, the Background Investigations Unit will conduct a comprehensive on-site Background Investigation. This will include, but is not limited to examination and investigation of employment history, driving history, criminal history, financial history, military history, and general life history. A credit report will be obtained. Any pertinent...
Physical Fitness Abilities TestApplicants for the position of Entry Level police officer with the City of Vancouver must successfully complete the following Fitness Ability Test. A maximum of 200 points is possible. A minimum of 30 points is required for each individual test. A minimum of 160 total points is required to pass the Fitness Ability Test