Talking Trash - Latest News and Events

Trash cart
Free, Fall Recycling Day Events

Accepted Items: A/C units, batteries, block foam, e-waste, freezers and refrigerators, household hazardous waste, scrap metal, shredding, tires and woody yard debris.

Vancouver: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 13
Clark College, Red Lot 3, 1933 Fort Vancouver Way
Shredding: Purple Lot 1, 1800 Fort Vancouver Way

Hazel Dell: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 20
99th St Transit Center, 9700 NE 7th Avenue

City of Vancouver and Clark County have numerous opportunities throughout the year to dispose of household hazardous waste. Visit Clark County's Green Neighbors website for more information about recycling events: Also look for other recycling options at

Household Hazardous Waste - Collection Sites

Solvents, paints, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer, batteries, and other chemicals should not be included in your garbage. Up to 25 gallons of household hazardous wastes are accepted from residents free of charge on designated days at the following locations. There are a number of opportunities to safely remove household hazardous waste by dropping them off at permanent collection sites located throughout the city and county. See bottom of webpage for maps to each facility.

Central Transfer and Recycling Center
11034 NE 117th Avenue
(Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Phone: 360-256-8482

West Van Materials Recovery Center
6601 NW Old Lower River Road
(Friday and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Phone: 360-737-1727

Washougal Transfer Station
4020 South Grant Street
(3rd Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Phone: 360-835-2500

Dispose of Unwanted Medications Safely, Easily

What do you do with medication you no longer need or want? To start, never ever flush unwanted medication down the toilet or dump them down the drain. That can cause major harm to the environment. There are proper ways to dispose of them so that no one is harmed. Unwanted medication can be disposed of at several sites across Clark County throughout the year. Controlled substances, such as pain killers and tranquilizers, can be taken to participating law enforcement agencies. Non-controlled substances, such as over-the-counter medications, can be taken to participating pharmacies. Visit for more details on the safe disposal of unwanted medications or attend one of these four free, collection events.

Unwanted Medication Collection Events
Four Locations: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 27
   - Clark College, Purple Lot 1, 1800 Fort Vancouver Way   
   - Kaiser Permanente, Cascade Park, 12607 SE Mill Plain Boulevard
   - Kaiser Permanente, Salmon Creek, 14406 NE 20th Ave
   - Battle Ground Police Department, 507 SW 1st Street

Get Empowered All Year Long! Free Block Foam and E-Waste Recycling

Empower Up provides convenient block foam recycling collections, along with electronics recycling, at 3206 NE 52nd Street. Empower Up is a reuse and recycling center that accepts donated computers and electronics, working or not. Reused electronics are sold to the public at discount prices in their Reuse store. Empower Up works with local nonprofits as well, to distribute reused electronics to those in need in Clark County. Empower Up also accepts number 6 clean white block foam.

See their website at or call 360-314-6388 for more details. Donation hours are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Reuse store hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.

Recycling Plastics

Vancouver residents can use their blue recycling carts, just like normal, to recycle many plastics at the curb.Toss these plastics in the blue recycling cart: clean plastic bottles; yogurt, margarine and other clean tubs; and 5-gallon or less nursery pots and buckets. Click here to learn more about what can go into your recycling cart.

You can also recycle the same plastics that go into the curbside cart at local transfer station drop-off areas. However, West Van Materials and Central Transfer and Recycling have now stopped accepting mixed rigid plastic and film plastic – These don’t go in your blue cart, either! Film plastic can be recycled at many grocery stores. Look for a collection bin near the store entrance.

At this time, Far West Fibers in Portland is accepting most of the rigid plastics no longer accepted at local transfer stations. Click here to see Far West Fibers' brochure regarding plastic and learn what materials are accepted and how they must be sorted.

Far West Fibers has two locations:
12820 NE Marx Street Portland, OR 97230
2005 N Rosa Parks Way Portland, OR 9721

How's the Weather?

Severe weather can whip up a number of garbage and recycling related issues. Here are some tips and facts that you should know:

  • When strong, high winds are forecast, please do not put out garbage and recycling until the morning of collection, if possible. You'll avoid having containers tipped over, and your neighbors will thank you, too! Just remember to have your items at the curb in the morning, when pickup begins at 6:30 a.m.
  • Downed limbs and trees on private property are the responsibility of the private property owner. Resources for yard debris may be found here.
  • City of Vancouver Operations Center crews respond to trees and limbs that fall into the street and block traffic. You can use our online Service Request to report non-emergency Public Works requests, including street maintenance, traffic signals, parks and other City facilities, water, sewer, and drainage issues. For Vancouver Public Works 24-hour emergency service requests, please call 360-693-9302.
  • Get more information here about inclement weather and its potential impact on garbage and recycling collections.
  • To learn more about how Public Works prioritizes street maintenance in severe weather and to learn more about how you can protect pipes from freezing, help prevent street flooding, get tips for travel, sign up for Public Works Severe Weather updates.
  • To learn about protecting trees, hiring a tree care professional or meeting the city's requirements, please visit our Urban Forestry site.
Central Transfer and Recycling Center
11034 NE 117th Avenue
Vancouver, WA
West Van Materials Recovery Center
6601 NW Old Lower River Road
Vancouver, WA
Washougal Transfer Station
4020 South Grant Street
Washougal, WA