Urban Forestry Commission
The Urban Forestry Commission was established to advise the Mayor and City Council on local and regional tree related issues. The Commission assists the city to develop good management practices to conserve the city’s trees and forests, educate citizens on the importance of urban trees, and organize tree plantings.
The Vancouver Urban Forestry Commission was created by City ordinance in 1987 for the purpose of:
"managing, conserving and enhancing trees located in the parks and public areas owned by the city of Vancouver and in public right-of-way, and thereby enhancing the appearance of the city and protecting an important environmental and economic resource for the benefit of the city's resident and visitors, and for the purpose of assisting property owners and public agencies to improve and maintain trees in a manner consistent with adopted city policies."
The seven-member citizen Commission is appointed by and reports to the City Council, and it is staffed by the Urban Forester. The Commission has been directed by Council to focus on the following activities:
- Considering changes to urban forestry policy and regulation as they are presented by City staff
- Administering the Heritage Tree Program (as defined in VMC 20.77)
- Updating the Urban Forestry Work Plan
- Coordinating community outreach activities for urban forestry:
- Traditional events - Arbor Day and Old Apple Tree Festival.
- Assist Vancouver neighborhoods through the Neighborhood Liaison program to identify urban forestry needs, especially in Neighborhood Action Plans and funding opportunities
- Promotion of public awareness through NeighborWoods Program, Urban Forestry brochures, recognition ceremonies (Tree City USA, Silva Bolds Whitfield Award, Mac Award), and planting programs for the entire community
The Urban Forestry Commission meetings are open to the public and are held every third Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. at City Hall (415 Building), 415 W 6th Street. Call (360) 487-8328 for additional information and confirmation.
Commission Liaison List (83 KB)