What Do I Do With It?

Household Hazardous Waste

Solvents, paints, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer, batteries, and other chemicals should not be included in your garbage. Up to 25 gallons of household hazardous wastes are accepted from residents free of charge on designated days at the following locations. There are a number of opportunities to safely remove household hazardous waste by dropping them off at permanent collection sites located throughout the city and county. In addition, check out the latest news and events to dispose of unwanted electronics and block foam

Central Transfer and
Recycling Center

11034 NE 117th Avenue
(Sat. & Sun, 8 am to 4 pm)
see map below

West Van Materials  Recovery Center
6601 NW Old Lower River Rd
(Fri. & Sat., 8 am to 4 pm)
see map below

Washougal Transfer Station
4020 South Grant Street
(3rd Sat., 8 am to 4 pm)
see map below






Unwanted Medication

Improper disposal of unwanted medication and medical waste can cause harm to humans, pets and the environment. Click here to learn more about ways to properly dispose of medication. You can also view this brochure for information on the safe disposal of unwanted medication developed as part of a cooperative program of Battle Ground, Camas, Clark County, La Center, Ridgefield, Vancouver and Yacolt.

Disposing of Used Sharps   

Sharps are medical needles, scalpels and other small sharp instruments. Sharps come from diabetics, livestock and pet owners and others who must give injections at home. Used sharps should never be placed in your garbage and recycling containers or flushed down the toilet. Instead, utilize one of the options below:
   - Drop off Collection Sites: Sharps users can take their filled sharps containers to any one of the three transfer stations in Clark County during regular operating hours.
   - Special Waste Pickup Services: See www.safeneedledisposal.org. There is a cost for this service.
   - Mail Back programs: See www.safeneedledisposal.org. There is a cost for this service.

Heavy duty plastic containers designed for collecting used sharps are available for purchase at many pharmacies. If an approved sharps container is not available, use a container with a well-secured lid, preferably made of rigid plastic. Be sure to label it: “Warning Sharps – Do Not Recycle”

For more information about sharps see www.clark.wa.gov/recycle/A-Z/Materials/sharps.html

Computers, Monitors, Laptops and Televisions

Washington has a FREE, convenient and environmentally responsible recycling program for computers, monitors, laptops and televisions.

Who can use the program?
Households, small businesses, schools & school districts, small governments, special purpose districts, and nonprofits & charities can recycle electronic products free of charge in this program. Click here for more information.

Where can I recycle?
Call 1-800-RECYCLE or visit 1800recycle.wa.gov to find electronic product recycling services in your area.

What can I recycle for free?
   - televisions
   - computers
   - computer monitors
   - portable or laptop computers

Please note that computer peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and printers are not included in this program.

Why recycle electronics?
Many electronics, especially TVs and computers, contain toxic materials such as lead, cadmium and mercury. Reusing and recycling electronics keeps these toxic materials out of our landfills and incinerators and also recovers valuable resources. The electronic equipment this program collects will be taken apart and separated into materials such as glass, plastic, metal and toxic chemicals. All recycling will follow performance standards set up by the Department of Ecology.

What if my electronic equipment still works?
Many groups and businesses focus on making used electronics available for reuse. Click here for more information on donating your electronics for reuse.

Or, consider donating your computer to Empower Up, a non-profit organization, located at 3206 NE 52nd Street. Their hours are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. For more information, call Empower Up at 360-314-6388 or visit www.Empowerup.org.  

Nursery Pot Recycling

Finished planting? Please don’t toss the pots. Take this opportunity to recycle or support reuse!

Nursery pots 5 gallons and smaller can be placed in your blue recycling cart. If you have larger pots or more than will fit in your recycling cart, you may drop them off at one of the locations listed below. You don’t need to separate or rinse, but please empty pots of all soil.

If you are a business with commercial quantities of nursery pots, please call Agri-Plas directly at 503-390-2381 for more information.

Nursery Pot Drop-off Sites
Bird’s English Garden and Nursery
1296 S Dolan Rd.
Ridgefield, WA 98642
Accepts pots 1 gallon and larger
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
(360) 887-3270

Shorty’s Nursery – Mill Plain
10006 SE Mill Plain Blvd.
Vancouver, WA 98664
Accepts any size plastic post
(360) 892-7880

WSU Master Gardener Program
1919 NE 78th Street
Vancouver, WA 98665
Accepts pots 1 gallon and larger on Wednesdays only
(360) 397-6060 ext. 7718

Nursery pots 5 gallons and smaller: If you aren't recycling this size of nursery pots in your big blue recycling cart at home, you can place these in the mixed plastic bin located in the self-haul recycling areas at these transfer stations.

Central Transfer and Recycling
11034 NE 117th Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98662
6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
(360) 256-8482

Washougal Transfer Station
4020 S. Grant St.
Washougal, WA 98671
7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday
(360) 835-2500

West Van Materials Recovery Center
6601 NW Old Lower River Road
Vancouver, WA 98660
6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday
(360) 737-1727

Central Transfer and Recycling Center
11034 NE 117th Avenue
Vancouver, WA
West Van Materials Recovery Center
6601 NW Old Lower River Road
Vancouver, WA
Washougal Transfer Station
4020 South Grant Street
Vancouver, WA