Culture, Arts and Heritage Grants

A large group of folklorico dancers perform on an outdoor stage.
Previous Grant Project: Día de Muertos Community Celebration by Vancouver Ballet Folklórico

Culture, Arts and Heritage grants support performances, exhibitions, activities and public art that showcase the best of Vancouver’s creative community. Community members and organizations are invited to apply for grants ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 that support projects occurring between July 2024 and December 2025.

Are you an individual artist with a great idea? Email parksrecculture@cityofvancouver.us to request a match to a sponsoring organization.

Important Dates

Grant funds are paid by reimbursement. Applications should demonstrate high artistic quality, innovation and creativity. Past projects include plays, cultural events, museum displays, murals and concerts.

Applicants

Register for an Application Workshop

The Culture, Arts and Heritage Commission is hosting a series of application workshops to support those interested in applying for a grant. The same information is presented at each workshop so attendees can choose which date, time and location work best for their schedule.

Workshop Dates

For questions or help completing an application, email parksrecculture@cityofvancouver.us.

Project Planning

Applications should describe a project, event or program that meets a community need and can realistically occur between the project start and completion dates identified above. The application will ask you to describe the project’s impact, artistic merit, and target audience in addition to providing a project description, budget, and promotion plan.  

Grant funds can be used towards artist fees, contractor fees, exhibition costs, equipment under $5,000, marketing and promotion, production costs and educational programs. Grant funds cannot be used towards prizes, membership dues, lobbying or fundraising, events that are not open to the public, or alcohol. The City cannot award grant funds to events or programs that have already happened.

The applications will be evaluated by Vancouver’s Culture, Arts & Heritage Commission on the following criteria: 

  • Proposals should elevate Vancouver’s livability by demonstrating social & economic impact 
  • Proposals should celebrate a vibrant and diverse community 
  • Proposals should exemplify the best of Vancouver’s creative community by demonstrating strong feasibility and creative merit 
  • Proposals should support innovation and collaboration

Applicants are required to match 10% of the proposed grant award in cash, plus an additional 10% either cash or in-kind for a total of 20% match towards the project costs. A total of $100,000 is available. Grant funds are paid by reimbursement.

Resources

Preview the application questions (PDF) 

Download the budget template (XLS) 

Review the eligibility guidelines (PDF) 

Current Recipients

Grant Portal

For questions or issues accessing the grant portal, email Kirsten Hull at Kirsten.Hull@cityofvancouver.us.

Advertising Acknowledgement

Any publications or advertising for your project should feature the following credit: “Made possible in part by assistance from the City of Vancouver, Washington Culture, Arts and Heritage Grant Program.” A copy of all printed materials crediting the Culture, Arts and Heritage Grant should be provided with the final project report.  

Receipts and Reimbursement

Grant recipients must submit copies of their receipts or invoices to request reimbursement of project funds. The reimbursement form will ask for an itemized list in each expense category and a link to upload an attachment. Please combine all receipts and invoices into a single attachment per form. Some applicants find it helpful to track their expenses in a spreadsheet and include that in their documentation.  

Resources

Preview the Reimbursement Form (PDF) 

Reporting

Grant recipients must complete an impact and outcome report within 90 days of their project’s conclusion. The report may include photographs of project or event, attendance figures and participant demographics if collected, final cost, and a written description of the project’s outcome, successes, and challenges. Recipients who fail to submit an impact and outcome report may be ineligible to apply for future grants through the City of Vancouver. 

Resources

Preview the Final Report Questions (PDF) 

Promotional Resources