Code Compliance

Code Compliance is responsible maintaining the safety, health, welfare and livability of neighborhoods through the use Vancouver Municipal Codes, including the Minimum Property Maintenance Code, Building Code and Zoning Ordinances.

Code Compliance’s goal is to gain voluntary compliance through education and assistance. If voluntary compliance cannot be achieved, civil or criminal penalties may be imposed.

Report a code violation

You can report a code violation, including a property maintenance or solid waste violation using one of two methods:

  1. Call the automated Code Compliance hotline at 360-487-7810.
  2. Use File a Code Compliance Concern form.

If you are unsure if you are in Vancouver, use Clark County’s Property Information Center to determine if the violation is with Vancouver’s city limits.

Inaccurate or incomplete information submitted will delay or prevent further processing. Please make sure the information submitted is accurate before submitting. If additional information is required, we will contact you.

What happens when I submit a complaint to Code Compliance

When a complaint is received by Code Compliance, an Officer is assigned to investigate the complaint.

If a violation exists, notification of the violation is issued regarding the condition. A specific, reasonable time will be imposed to correct any violations.

Voluntary compliance is the foremost goal of code enforcement. In cases where voluntary compliance is not achieved, Code Compliance Officers have the option to impose civil or criminal penalties.

The most common violations addressed by Code Compliance include but are not limited to:

  • Garbage
  • Outdoor storage
  • Parking on an unimproved surface
  • Inoperable vehicles
  • Overgrown vegetation
  • Building without permits
  • Roosters
  • Occupancy of vehicles on private property
  • Vacant structures
  • Fire damaged structures

Animal complaints to include barking dogs and other animal related nuisances are reported to Clark County Animal Control. Violations in the public right-of-way are addressed by the City’s Transportation Department or Public Works by filling out a service request.

Parking violations to include prolonged parking and vehicles abandoned in the public right-of-way are reported to and addressed by the City’s Parking Enforcement Officers by submitting Parking Concern.

The City may be required to release your name and/or information submitted in a complaint pursuant to Public Disclosure (RCW 42.56) and/or pursuant to court order. The submittal of this public service request is subject to public disclosure according to the public records act (RCW 42.56). This means that anyone can request the release of documents containing your name and contact information. However, information revealing the identity of persons who are witnesses to crimes or who file complaints with investigative agencies can be withheld from disclosure if you believe the disclosure would endanger your life, physical safety or property pursuant to RCW 42.56.240.

Vehicle and Semi Tractor/Trailer Parking Complaints

For all vehicle and semi tractor/trailer complaints in the public street outside the downtown and Uptown Village areas (Arnada, Hough and Esther Short neighborhoods):

Call 3-1-1 or use the report a parking concern form.

For all vehicle and semi tractor/trailer complaints in the public street inside the downtown and Uptown areas (Arnada, Hough and Esther Short neighborhoods)

call Parking Services at 360-487-8650.

Recreational Vehicle Parking

Recreational vehicles may only be parked on a city street, in a residential area, for a reasonable amount of time, for the purpose of loading and unloading. RV parking permits are free and are available by downloading the Recreational Vehicle Right of Way application.

Return the completed form to:

Code Compliance
City of Vancouver
P.O. Box 1995
Vancouver, WA 98668

Can you keep chickens in the city limits?

Chickens are allowed; however, roosters and peacocks are not. VMC 20.150 defines a domestic animal as any animal other than livestock. VMC 20.895.050 further states the general requirements of keeping domestic animals within the city limits and excludes the keeping of swine, roosters and peacocks.

How long can I park my vehicle on the street in front of my house?

It is not the intent to prohibit citizens from legally parking a personal, licensed motor vehicle on a public street in front of their residence except for recreational vehicles (see camping ordinance and commercial vehicles section VMC 17.14.290)

The City of Vancouver has adopted a policy to allow citizens to park in front of their property without being subject to the requirement for movement of the vehicle at least every twenty-four (24) hours provided that the vehicle is properly registered to the property owner, or resident, to where the vehicle is parked, the vehicle is properly licensed, in operational condition, legally parked, and the area of the street around the parked vehicle is maintained free of debris, leaves, vegetation and dirt. The vehicle needs to be moved or driven occasionally and not just parked on the street as a means of storage.

How long can garage sales be held?

Garage sales require no special permits or licenses if they fall within the following parameters:
  • Sales last no longer than three days
  • Sales are held no more than twice in a calendar year
  • Sales are conducted on the owner’s property.
  • Multiple-family sales are permitted if they are held on the property of one of the participants.

Signs shall be subject to VMC 20.960 and must be removed within 24 hours upon completion of the sale.