Claims for Damages

To file a Claim for Damages against the City of Vancouver, submit a Claim for Damages to the City of Vancouver Risk and Safety Division using one of the ways described below.

Give specific details about your damage or loss using one of the methods below. Please fill out all required fields and include dates, times, witnesses, and any supporting documents.

Records you submit are subject to public disclosure laws. Do not send medical records with your claim form. Our risk staff will coordinate a release of your medical records if needed.

Submit a Claim for Damages

Choose one of these ways to file your claim:

1. Complete a Claim for Damages online

The portal to file a claim online is currently available in English only. To file a claim in any language, please use one of the other methods below. The portal does not allow you to save your progress. You will be able to download a PDF copy of your claim after submitting it. If you provide an email address, you will be sent an email confirmation of your claim. The portal may work on your mobile device; experiences may vary between devices and browsers. This method does not require the form to be printed or scanned.

2. Download a claim form (fillable PDF) and file via email

Save your completed claim form before you email it. This method does not require the form to be printed or scanned.

Email your complete, saved claim form to

3. Download a claim form (PDF for handwritten completion) for printing and file by mail

Be sure to sign your completed claim form.

Mail your completed claim form to: 

City of Vancouver
Attn: Tiffany Jodoin, Claims Analyst
PO Box 1995
Vancouver, WA 98668-1995

4. Completed claims forms may also be delivered in person to

City of Vancouver
Attn: Tiffany Jodoin, Claims Analyst
415 W. 6th Street
Vancouver, WA 98660

You also have the option instead of completing the standard tort claim form from the Washington State Department of Enterprise Services. Please note that if this form is used, it must still be delivered to the appropriate City agent.

Need help filing a claim? Contact the Risk and Safety Division at 360-487-8436

What happens after you file your claim?

Risk Management investigates your claim.

Our investigation begins when we receive your Claim for Damages. Submit your claim form as soon as possible after a loss occurs, even if damage costs or totals are uncertain.

Risk and Safety staff may request supporting documentation. They will provide an email address where you can submit this documentation.

Your claim will be evaluated and may result in one of three outcomes in which the City of Vancouver will:

  1. Tender the claim to a different responsible party or entity.
  2. Deny a claim where the City of Vancouver is not legally liable.
  3. Pay an agreed sum of money if there is evidence of City of Vancouver liability.

By law, if your claim is not settled within 60 days of presentment it is deemed denied. However, the City of Vancouver may continue negotiations after this time period.

Supporting documents

You may be asked to provide further documents supporting your claim. Since these documents may be required before a claim can be resolved, you may want to include them with your claim form.

Repair estimates/receipts

Please document your claim. Include estimates, photos, receipts, or any other documentation to support your loss.


Photographs supporting your claim may be included with your City of Vancouver Claim for Damages form. Alternatively, you can submit digital photographs via email to your assigned Risk and Safety contact after the investigation has begun.

Other agency reports

If a collision report was filed with a law enforcement agency, you may want to request a copy to provide with your claim form. Please contact the responding agency for more information.

If a collision report was filed by the Washington State Patrol, you can request a copy through the WRECR (Washington Requests for Electronic Collision Reports) site.

Types of claims handled

Tort claims for bodily injury or property damage occurring on City of Vancouver property or as a result of City operations.eams