Report a Spill or Illicit Discharge

Spills to storm drains, soil or waterways must be reported. Do not rinse the spill away.

Illicit discharges are any discharge entering the storm sewer system that is not composed entirely of stormwater. The stormwater system is not designed to accommodate additional water or waste, and these illicit discharges can be harmful to the system and the environment.

If you see or know of an illicit discharge or accidental spill of something onto the ground, into a stream or into a storm water drain, please note the location, substance and all other details. Then call or e-mail the resources below. You may request that your personal information be kept confidential. If you are unsure as to whether the materials are hazardous, please call so we can investigate the concern.

Accidents happen, and spills can occur at home and work. Having a spill plan, a kit of clean-up supplies nearby and a container for liquid storage are important to preventing damage to our water resources. When you have a spill, contain the spill as much as you can; then use dry absorbents like kitty litter, sawdust or floor sweeping products and sweep it up into the garbage. Please take time to report spills so we can help clean and protect our water resources.

Report the spill as quickly as you can. Time is critical, and actions taken to address the spill will help lessen the harm to our water resources and risks to public health and the environment.

Important: A spill of any size that enters a stormwater drain may cause harm to surface or ground water. By law, spills must be reported to the Washington Department of Ecology.

Important Contact Information

Washington Department of Ecology

Spill Line: 360-407-6300
Oil Spills (Toll Free): 1-800-OILS-911

City of Vancouver Water Resources Protection

Phone: 360-487-7130

City of Vancouver Operations Center

Phone: 360-487-8177

City of Vancouver After Hours/Emergencies Hotline

Phone (After 5 p.m. Monday-Friday or weekends/holidays): 360-693-9302