Street Use and Right-of-Way Permits

Street Use and Right-of-Way Permits allow residents, organizations, property owners and businesses to use the public street right-of-way for purposes other than for the usual automobile, pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Examples are parades, walks, construction of curbs or sidewalks, landscaping, building signs and sidewalk sales which take place in the public street right-of-way.

The term “Right-of-Way” refers mainly to the community-owned areas of legally open municipal streets, sidewalks, alleys, parkways and any other public land.

In addition to obtaining a Street Use or Right-of-Way Permit, Traffic Control Plans, Hold Harmless Agreements, Insurance, Fees, Special License, other Permits and Conditions of Approval may also be required. These are needed because unusual uses of the pavement and sidewalk areas of public streets could disturb auto and pedestrian traffic and cause safety hazards. Plans must be made to protect public health, street safety and the city’s pleasant environment. To do this, police, fire and other city service areas may need to be consulted and provide services for these events. The Permit process assures that all these things are being planned for. Please see below for more details and contact information.

What types of permits are available?

Street Use Permit – Sidewalk Café/Seating

A permit is required for sidewalk repair and sidewalk café/seating. Learn more sidewalk café/seating

Street Use Permit

Street Use Permits are required for short-term or temporary special events. Street Use Permits include the following types listed below.

  • Bicycle Racks
  • Block Party
  • Film Set
  • Mobile Food Vendor (Food Truck)
  • Sidewalk Vending Unit
  • Parade
  • Run
  • Walk
  • POD Unit
  • Garbage Container or Drop Box
  • Sidewalk Sale
  • Street Mural
  • Long-Term Right-of-Way (Type D) – These type of permits are required for building into or extending over the right-of-way. This could include bus shelters, business signs, canopies, fences, footings, mailboxes, monitoring wells, planters and retaining walls.

A Hold Harmless Agreement is also required for the following street use permit types:

Traffic Control Plan

Traffic Control Plans (TCP) are required for any project or event in the public right-of-way as they may create safety hazards or traffic congestion. Plans are needed for sidewalk sales, parades, walking events, temporary storage of materials and equipment, tree removal, small do-it-yourself projects and contractor-built projects such as driveways, sidewalks, landscaping and cable and pipe installation. There is no charge for review and approval of your Traffic Control Plan.

View a sample Traffic Control Plan to help in your submission.

For Traffic Control Plans impacting an intersection or 3 lanes of traffic or more, please use the following form and work with the Public Works Traffic Engineering and Operations team. Fill out the Traffic Control Plan Form and send to

For Construction Permits that use one of the four following types of Traffic Control Plans, the TCP will be issued at the City’s Engineering Service Permit Counter. Call 360-487-7804 for more details.

  • Sidewalk closure
  • Shoulder closure
  • Single-lane closure
  • Standard flagging station

For Franchise Utility Traffic Control Plans, please send your submissions to

Right-of-Way Permit

Right-of-way permits can be obtained from the City’s Engineering Service Permit Counter. The Permit Center is located on the first floor of Vancouver City Hall, 415 W. 6th Street. For more information, visit Building and Permitting Services or call 360-487-7804.

Please note that these lists are not all inclusive. If your event or activity is not listed above and you are unsure whether or not you need a permit, please contact Vancouver Public Works.

Traffic Engineering and Operations
Phone: 360-487-7729